This July I was lucky enough to be accepted to attend the Google Geo Teacher's Institute at the Googleplex in Mountain View, CA.
This professional development experience was designed by the Geo Education team at Google in order to inspire and teach teachers how to get the most from Google's Geo products and Technologies. We got hands on experience with Google Earth, Sketch Up, Google Maps, Mars, Moon and Sky.
There were many great presenters, break out sessions, events and people at the Google GTI, however the most inspiring part of the entire event was beging back at the Googleplex. I first visited the Googleplex in Mountain View, CA in June of 2008 when I attended the Google Teacher's Academy and became a Google Certified Teacher. Being invited back to Google was an exciting opportunity to continue learning about the amazing tools that Google has for students and educators. A huge thanks to Tina on the Google Geo Education team for dreaming up this event. Tina's 20% project on the Google Earth team was to begin a relationship with educators to partner with them in how to teach about geography using the Google Tools. Recently, Tina's 20% project became her 80% project and there is a Geography Education Team at Google!
- The Google Geography Bee hosted by the one and only Alex Trebek
- Michael Hathorn and his team of 5 students sharing their Building VT Google Earth and Sketch Up
- Jerome Burg's presentation sharing Google Lit Trips
- National Geographic's Giant Traveling Maps project
- Networking with teachers from all over the world!
- Learning from Tina and the Geo Education Team at Google
- The Food! Micro-Kitchens...enough said!
- Being on the Google campus!
Google Geo Teacher's Institute Site. Feel free to use any of the resources.
FollowMolly's Google Geography Tools
Jean Ozwald, Mahtomedi Media Specialist & Molly Schroeder, Edina Tech Integration Specialist